Director of Transportation
Director of Transportation
If you are a seasoned Director of Transportation and you want to dial it back and give back to your community, this is the job for you. Solid pay, great benefits and liberal paid time off - all this while you are helping to alleviate hunger in our state. We have a small fleet of trucks (40 units) that operate locally Monday through Friday - during the day (20 class A drivers and 30 class B drivers). If you have experience managing a smaller fleet of trucks and drivers and have experience in routing, GPS and freight management you need to apply. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Oh, and did I mention you are helping people in our community?
Located in Phoenix, Arizona and founded in 1967, St. Mary?s is known as the world?s first food bank. Our Director of Transportation has oversight of the transportation department to include training, hiring, supervising and routing.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversight of transportation department, including its assets and employees.
- Directs department operations to include budgeting, safety programs, preventive maintenance, etc.
- Managing the operational aspects of ongoing projects and serving as liaison between project management and planning, project team, and line management.
- Ensuring customer goods move to and from the warehouse and to our agencies and clients safely and efficiently.
- Developing partnerships with outside carriers in shipping.
- Ensuring the alignment between third party partners and agencies to fulfill client needs.
- Planning and implementing budgets; Reviewing financial reports.
- Supervising scheduling of shipments, collaborating with other departments for most effective means of delivery.
- Recommending policies, procedures and/or actions related to transportation services for the purpose of providing direction for meeting the department?s goals and objectives.
- Managing performance of employees with emphasis on productivity, efficiency, and service delivery.
- Leading all distribution and transportation planning and strategic activities.
- Oversight of recruitment and selection, as well as training, coaching and mentoring of transportation drivers, performing personnel functions for the purpose of maintaining adequate staffing, enhancing productivity of staff and achieving objectives within budget.
- Assisting in the identification and implementation of continuous improvement opportunities and agency satisfaction opportunities.
- Appraising current equipment and researching new equipment for the purpose of recommending purchases, leases, contracts, etc.
- Assessing all incidents, complaints (e.g. safety issues, transportation routes, legal issues, etc.) for the purpose of resolving or recommending resolutions.
- Oversight of all required training per DOT regulations.
SKILLS / REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor?s degree in area of specialty and/or a minimum of 10 years of experience in Transportation or related field.
- Related experience with increasing levels of responsibility including previous management experience.
- Strong technical background with routing and transportation software.
- Familiarity with the field?s concepts, practices and procedures.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills.
- Intermediate computer skills to include Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Experienced with the implementation and management of on board transportation systems to include GPS ? DOT Paperless logs.
- Experience with DOT regulations, state laws, compliance, etc.
- Food service background a plus.
- Demonstrated record of cost control and departmental safety.
St. Mary?s offers a generous compensation package which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, PTO, employer paid life insurance and more. This is your chance to make a difference. Join our Mission to alleviate hunger.