St. Mary's Food Bank is currently seeking an experienced Chef Instructor for our Community Kitchen Program. The Chef Instructor is responsible for teaching culinary skills to a diverse group of individuals as part of a food bank training program aimed at increasing individual self sufficiency. Instructor will create menus and training instruction based on food availability. Instructor will also teach a high level of food handling standards. Directs and works alongside the students to give them the tools they need to be successful in the culinary industry.
1. Manages a clean, well maintained and organized kitchen by instructing students in basic sanitation and culinary arts skills, ensuring safe food handling procedures, and maintaining on-going temperature logs in cooler and freezer.
2. Maintains current inventory for all food items, pro-actively utilizing food bank inventory in order to reduce food purchases and placing all food and non-food kitchen orders in a timely fashion.
3. Maintains a professional, helpful and non-threatening learning environment, actively teaching scheduled curriculum topics to students in the kitchen.
4. Coordinates with other instructors, ensuring materials being taught in the classroom and the kitchen are concurrent with employer expectations.
5. Provides knife skill and cooking demonstrations for basic culinary techniques.
6. Assists in developing curriculum and class calendar.
7. Utilize donated and or purchased food to create given menu
8. Works one on one with struggling students
9. Share best practices learned from real world experience with students to prepare them for the industry
10. Provides written feedback to Manager regarding student progress and recommendations on a weekly basis for student evaluations.
11. Any other duties as assigned by Management.
12. Ability to formulate long term planning and execution
13. Strong ability to meet given deadlines
Minimum of 5 years work related experience or equivalent combination of education and job-related experience in a Food Service Management Role.
Preferred: Bilingual English/ Spanish
Preferred: AA in Culinary Studies
The salary range for this position is between $38K -$42k. St. Mary’s offers a generous compensation package which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, 401K, PTO, employer paid life insurance, and more!
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and salary requirements to: https://jobs.firstfoodbank.org/