St. Mary?s Food Bank Alliance is currently seeking an experienced Chef Instructor for our Community Kitchen program at our Phoenix campus.
Our Chef Instructor will teach culinary skills to a diverse group as part of our program to encourage individual self-sufficiency. Working closely with the students the Chef Instructor will provide them with the tools necessary to be successful in the culinary industry. Instruction includes classroom as well as hands-on training. We invite you to take a look at what the Community Kitchen does for our community by visiting our web-site at www.firstfoodbank.org.
Work hours are M-F 7am-3pm. Pay is $35,000/annually.
Key Responsibilities of the Chef Instructor include, but are not limited to:
- Managing a well maintained Bistro by instructing students in basic sanitation, culinary skills, safe food handling procedures and overall kitchen safety.
- Providing a professional, helpful learning environment and actively teaching scheduled curriculum to students.
- Ensuring compliance of cleanliness standards to meet established guidelines of USDA and Maricopa County, including written safety logs.
- Coordinating with other staff instructors, ensuring materials taught in classroom and the kitchen are in line with employer expectations.
- Providing knife skills and cooking demonstrations for basic culinary techniques, guiding students through the practical use of these techniques in a high volume production kitchen.
- Assisting with various catering events, including after hour events such as food shows.
- Developing curriculum and class calendar.
- Maintaining and updating Excel/Word/PowerPoint documents.
- Assisting students with interviewing practice.
- Completing and submitting maintenance requests for needed kitchen work and repairs.
- Providing performance summaries regarding progress and/or challenges of students, along with recommendations for improvement plans as well as conduct student evaluations on a weekly basis.
- Ordering and maintaining inventory of supplies and product.
- Ensuring proper storage and receiving practices of food and food products are adhered to.
- Maintaining kitchen equipment for safety and cleanliness and inspection ready.
- Safety sensitive position.
Qualifications and Experience sought:
- Associate?s degree in culinary studies preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years? work related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to adapt communication style to a varied audience.
- Ability to stand for extended period of time and to lift, push, and/or pull up to 40 pounds on a regular basis.
- Proven ability to handle adversity in a calm, professional, and confident manner.
- Strong ability to meet given deadlines.
- Previous experience in a teaching-type role.
- Intermediate computer skills to include Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to motivate others is essential.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish/English) helpful.