Data Management Specialist - Americorps VISTA
Data Management Specialist - Americorps VISTA
Effective Dates: November 2020 - November 2021
Sponsoring Organization: Arizona Food Bank Network
Site Location: St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance, Flagstaff Office
5200 E. Cortland Blvd. Ste A15, Flagstaff, AZ 86004
Primary Focus Area: Healthy Futures - Food Security
If you are passionate about feeding the hungry and have experience with data management and ArcGIS AGOL Mapping, or a passion for software and coding, then this position is for you!
St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance partners with over 600 food banks, churches, schools and civic organizations to provide hunger relief programming throughout 9 counties in Arizona. Our food bank is committed to the development of sustainable and innovative tools to reach clients and lower food insecurity rates in our community.
The goal of this VISTA project is to increase food access for clients in areas of high food insecurity through the utilization of ArcGIS mapping to improve community awareness and communication of available resources. This VISTA project will focus on the management and development of ArcGIS mapping tools utilized in external communication and internal needs assessments of food bank service area. These tools will allow for appropriate identification of high need areas and decrease food insecurity by increasing access to hunger relief programming in these areas.
This VISTA project will provide a currently unavailable means of communication with those suffering from food insecurity to increase community awareness of programming and provide relief to those living in poverty. The ArcGIS maps created will increase our organizational capacity to serve the community through the identification of underserved high need communities.
In order to work towards achieving this goal, in year one of the project, the VISTA will:
- Develop and improve upon data management systems utilized in ArcGIS Map uploads and client communication.
- Improve upon mapping tools to increase usability and accuracy to aid in community outreach and client awareness.
- Develop partnerships with organizations who work within and outside of St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance service area to gather and publish program data aimed at decreasing food insecurity.
- Identify key organizations and individuals within potential tribal community targets and build relationships to assist in increasing client awareness of available resources.
- To find out more about serving with AmeriCorps VISTA, please visit the following webpage:
- Strengthen existing data management procedures
- Support development and maintenance of ArcGIS mapping projects
- Develop additional tools to aid in effective ArcGIS map utilization
- Document procedures utilized in data management and map development
- Collaborate with food providers and community stakeholders for inclusion of additional external hunger relief programming data
- Develop trainings, workshops, and educational materials
- Implement and facilitate trainings
- Coordinate with subject experts to create effective training materials and deliver engaging organizational and community workshops
- Train others on how to best utilize the training materials developed, training the trainers
Key Skills, Knowledge, Abilities, & Qualifications:
- College degree, or relevant experience in place of degree
- Prior experience in data management
- Strong initiative and ability to learn software quickly
- Ability to effectively facilitate educational trainings and workshops
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to develop and document processes
- Ability to collaborate with diverse audiences, understand challenges, problem solve, and develop effective solutions
- Knowledge of ArcGIS and AGOL Mapping
- Strong organizational skills
- Passion for combating hunger
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office products
Benefits for VISTA Members:
- Living stipend to cover the basic costs of living (find out more at nationalservice.gov)
- Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend upon successful completion of service
- 10 personal and 10 sick days
- Health coverage at no-cost
- Relocation allowance
- Student loan forbearance and deferment
- Childcare assistance if eligible
- Professional development training
- One year of non-competitive eligibility for federal government positions upon completion of service
- AmeriCorps Eligibility Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age
- US citizen, national, or legal resident
- Successfully complete a criminal background check
- Valid driver’s license
How to Apply:
- Please send resumes to: email@example.com
- Apply through the MyAmeriCorps Portal: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=99099